|Website of Stefan Schaeckeler|
- Stefan Schaeckeler
I used to be a Ph.D. student in the Computer Engineering department. Now after graduation, I work for Cisco Systems, Inc. in San Jose. You can still reach me via below contact info.
- Compilers: code size optimization for embedded systems (for an overview, see the code compression bibliography).
- Visualization of compiler optimization passes as a formal method and tool for debugging, comprehending and improving them (for a quick overview on visualization of two procedural abstraction optimization passes, see PVW '08 slides).
- With my new employer, my research interests are slowly shifting to emerging trends in computer networking.
Publications for my Ph.D. thesis on compilers for embedded systems and program visualization
- S. Schaeckeler and N. Jayadevaprakash, "Visualization of Computational Processes of Procedural Abstraction Optimization Passes". In ICESS-11: Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Embedded Software eand Systems, pages 1099-1108, Changsha, China, November 2011. IEEE Computer Society. [paper][bibtex][abstract][ieee explore] (presentation slides are not online yet: see PVW '08 slides for the slides of the predecessor paper)
- S. Schaeckeler and W. Shang, "Procedural Abstraction with Reverse Prefix Trees". In CGO '09: Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Code Generation and Optimization, pages 243-253, Los Alamitos, CA, USA, March 2009. IEEE Computer Society. [paper][bibtex][abstract][acm portal][ieee explore][presentation slides]
- S. Schaeckeler, W. Shang and R. Davis, "Compiler Optimization Pass Visualization: The Procedural Abstraction Case". In ACM Transactions on Computing Education , volume 9, pages 1-13, New York, NY, USA, 2009. ACM. [preprint][bibtex][abstract][acm portal][supplemental material]
- S. Schaeckeler and W. Shang, "Optimizing the Stack Size of Recursive Functions". In Journal of Computer Languages, Systems & Structures, volume 35, pages 266-276. Elsevier, 2009. [preprint][bibtex][abstract][science direct][supplemental material]
- S. Schaeckeler, W. Shang and R. Davis, "Visualization of Procedural Abstraction". In Electronic Notes in Theoretical Computer Science, volumne 224, pages 27-39, 2009. [preprint][bibtex][abstract][science direct][supplemental material][presentation slides] (paper presented at PVW '08 Madrid - ENTCS published the proceedings)
- S. Schaeckeler and W. Shang, "Live Range Splitting at Recursive Function Calls". In IIT '07: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology, pages 337-341, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, 2007. [paper][bibtex][abstract][ieee explore][supplemental material]
- S. Schaeckeler and W. Shang, "Stack Size Reduction of Recursive Programs". In CASES '07: Proceedings of the 2007 International Conference on Compilers, Architecture and Synthesis for Embedded Systems, pages 48-52, New York, NY, USA, 2007. ACM Press. [paper][bibtex][abstract][acm portal][supplemental material]
Further Publications from my involvement in the HADRAM project on a distributed database
- D. Cieslicki, S. Schaeckeler and T. Schwarz, "Maintaining and Checking Parity in Highly Available Scalable Distributed Data Structures". In Journal of Systems and Software, volumne 83, issue 4, April 2009. Elsevier.
- D. Cieslicki, S. Schaeckeler and T. Schwarz, "Efficient Updates in Highly Available Distributed Random Access Memory". In ICPADS '06 Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Systems, pages 49-57, Washington, DC, USA, July 2006. IEEE Computer Society.
- D. Cieslicki, S. Schaeckeler and T. Schwarz, "Highly Available Distributed RAM (HADRAM): Scalable Availability for Scalable Distributed Data Structures". In WDAS '06: 7th Workshop on Distributed Data and Structures, Santa Clara, CA, USA, January 2006.
- Track co-chair for EIDWT 2012: 3rd International Conference on Emerging Intelligent Data and Web Technologies [link] (2012).
- Program committee member for HPCC: 14th and 15th IEEE International Conference on High Performance Computing and Communications (2012 [link], 2013 [link]).
- Program committee member for Cisco's technology, research and innovation conference CTech (2010 [pdf], 2011 [pdf], and 2012 [pdf]).
- Session chair for the Embedded Architectures session of ICESS-11: 8th International Conference on Embedded Software and Systems [pdf] (2011).
- Reviewer for EuroVis, the Eurographics/IEEE VGTC Symposium on Visualization [pdf] (2011).
- Reviewer for ACM Transactions on Computing Education (2009).
- Reviewer for Journal of Visual Languages & Computing [pdf] (2009).
- Technical program committee member for IIT: International Conference on Innovations in Information Technology (2008, 2009 and 2011).
- Invited speaker for the IEEE Santa Clara Valley Reliability Chapter monthly meeting (April 2013).
Grants, Stipends and Scholarships
- CGO travel grant 2009.
- Edward M. Fellows Foundation scholarship 2008 and 2009 (partial scholarship).
- Various SCU internal research grants 2007 - 2010.
- SCU Engineering Fellowship 2006 and 2007.
- COEN 070: Formal specification and advanced data structures (spring 2006).
- COEN 172/261: Structure and interpretation of computer programs (fall 2004).
TA / RA
- A clickable program map for interactively exploring abstractions of a procedural abstraction pass [click].
- Code compactor for intel linux [click].
- Email: sschaeck (at) engr.scu.edu (public key).
- Smail: Stefan Schaeckeler c/o Weijia Shang, Computer Engineering Department, Santa Clara University, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053.
The content of these web pages is not generated by and does not represent the views of Santa Clara University or any of its departments or organizations.